Why this opportunity exists⌗
Modern Tribe, is looking for a WordPress Engineer with solid PHP and WordPress experience to join our agency team. Are you a dependable and competent developer with strong communication skills? Are you a quick learner that likes to solve complex problems using WordPress and OOP techniques? We want to meet you! The WordPress Engineer role at Modern Tribe will offer you the opportunity to become a core member within our tribe. You will be collaborating with an awesome dev team working on innovative and large scale WordPress installations. We are looking for a backend developer that is already actively working in the WordPress website and plugin development field. You need to be up to speed and knowledgeable about the most recent releases and standards of WordPress. We want you to be as excited and as passionate as we are about what we are creating with the platform. Experienced WordPress developers only!
• Collaborate with the project strategist and senior backend developers to articulate the best technological solution for the problem at hand • Analyze user story acceptance criteria to ensure technical feasibility and point out potential issues • Manage yourself to make sure you can deliver on time, on budget and on scope • Architect and develop new backend features and plugins, custom functionality, and theme integration • Write high quality code with readability, efficiency and maintainability in mind • Develop and maintain complex WordPress-based applications • Implement complex features using modern PHP code and patterns • Code review the work of other developers • Improve our internal tools, libraries and standards • Actively participate in discipline and scrum meetings • Work with your project team to diagnose and resolve backend bugs and support requests
Additional requirements (other than skills)⌗
• Strong communication skills • Experience working as part of a remote team • Self-motivated, detail-oriented • Strong organizational skills • A methodical approach to all tasks • Ability to prioritize workloads and meet deadlines • Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time and complete tasks in a timely manner • Ability to work remotely with little-to-no supervision is a must • Excited to be part of a team with the potential for a long term relationship • Fluent English speaker • Experience implementing complex WordPress solutions • Familiar with modern PHP (for example: OOP, PHP 7, Composer, PSR’s, Laravel, or Symfony) • Ability to work remotely with little-to-no supervision is a must • Excellent understanding of OOP and better practices • Experience writing code with a focus on security and performance • Experience working with at least one automated testing framework • Demonstrated experience developing on the WordPress platform (for example, one or more of: Solid experience with WordPress methods and development patterns, handling data securely within WordPress, plugin development, or leveraging the REST API) • Thorough understanding of the software development life cycle (i.e. seeing a project through from spec to completion) • Experience working in an agency and/or as a contractor • 5+ years experience working as a backend web developer on production sites • 3+ years experience working on WordPress sites • Bonus Points: • Experience with continuous integration and automated deployment pipelines • Experience working with at least one automated testing framework • Experience with WPML • Experience with server technologies like Redis or ElasticSearch
English - fully-fluent About the organization(s)⌗
• Modern Tribe, Inc. is a rapidly growing software & design company. We develop custom solutions for some of the world’s largest companies, government institutions and smaller growing organizations. We pride ourselves on our ability to bridge people and technology and to bring the passion and dedication of an entrepreneur to every project. Our team is composed of talented employees and freelancers around North & South America (and a smattering across the globe). • Modern Tribe is committed to a culture that embraces diversity and inclusion. We foster an environment of collaboration, open engagement, fairness and respect regardless of differences in age, race, disability, national origin, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status. As a hybrid workspace ranging from distributed contractors to traditional employees, we value the unique perspectives and experiences of our global team. • We come from all walks of life. We are small business owners. We are tattoo aficionados and 80’s movie buffs and ex-pats. We are homeschool teachers. We are single parents. We are musicians, college drop-outs, and entrepreneurs. We are travelers, feminists, runners, volunteers, and makers. We are a Modern Tribe. • Everyday we strive to fulfill our motto: live well and do good work. We hope you will consider joining us.
• Location: • Work from anywhere in North, Central or South America. If your timezone is outside of US business hours but you work at least 4+ hours of overlap each day, let’s chat. You must be fluent in English. You just need a computer and a strong wifi signal to support daily video chats with the Tribe. • Compensation: • Pay range for this role is $40-$65/hour. This is a freelance contract role 10-20 hours per week. We are always seeking longer relationships with exceptional people. At this time we are unable to work with freelancers who are not already freelancing full time or looking to work additional hours on top of a 40 hour work week. • Who You Are • We love working with each other because we have built a culture that suits us well. We work primarily with freelancers and coordinate their talents for large projects. To be on our team, you must be: • HAPPY: Where there is a will, there is a way. Having a positive disposition allows us to achieve great things and to support each other. • HELPFUL: Always looking for ways that you can help others. • CURIOUS: It is essential that you have a passion for learning. Technology changes daily, and life has a way of constantly raising the bar. • ACCOUNTABLE: Our clients expect us to get the right thing done on budget and on time. Communicating expectations and meeting them is the cornerstone of success.
• We believe that distributed working is a way of life. We understand what it means to work remotely.• We offer consistency in expectations, payment, and support.• We believe in learning from each other and fostering personal growth. You can expect to learn a lot while working with us.