We are looking for an engineer with a “find a way or make a way” attitude who has a passion for ensuring products “just work” for customers. The mission of the Data Engineer is to power the data engine at GrowFlow. That means your job is to ensure we’re surfacing insightful data to both external and internal stakeholders at just the right time and empowering both to make intelligent and data-informed decisions about their business.
The ideal candidate will be someone with a keen sense for organization, an itch to look at things from different perspectives and a collaborative mindset that enables our data team to work with and empower both our customers and internal stakeholders.
Data Engineering at Growflow encompasses both traditional BI analytics as well as empowering internal usage data (i.e. customer product usage via segment.com)
Our environment is typical of a start-up:
We work in small teams, fast-paced, we all get a lot done by everyone wearing many hats.
We are serious about optimizing our time and staying focused on the most important goals and outcomes.
We are a remote team and are completely on board with 100% remote work, meaning we focus on overcommunication to ensure we can stay in sync despite our physical distance.
We coordinate using a kanban board, hold a daily standup, and mostly communicate via ad hoc video calls and Slack.
We’re building lots of new things, but also maintaining a significant business. We are mindful of the balance and need to monitor and pay down tech debt and also innovate with exciting greenfield projects. Our Data Stack
GrowFlow’s data pipelines consume data from all of our products (4+ and counting) into a central data warehouse in BigQuery.
We process & transform the data with DBT, visualize it with PowerBI and Amplitude.
Segment.com is our central product analytics customer data platform, collecting behavior/event data from all our sources and sending it to both our warehouse and various partner destinations. Your Mission & Responsibilities:
As a part of the GrowFlow Data, Analytics & Reporting Team you will…
- Ensure the availability and timely delivery of data, analytics & reporting, company-wide.
- Ingest and aggregate structured & unstructured data from internal and external data sources to our data warehouse.
- Model new data sets Build, maintain & improve performant, efficient & reliable ELT workflows and data pipelines
- Document new & existing data models, ELT workflows, pipelines, data dictionaries and tracking events.
- Build, deploy and monitor robust data tests to monitor & validate production pipelines.
- Improve data-driven decisions by providing guidance & assistance to internal business stakeholders (Customer Experience, Sales, Marketing, Growth, etc) who need to unlock insights about our markets, customers and business processes.
- Work w/ Product & Engineering to evolve and expand GrowFlow’s Insights product, our customer-facing business intelligence tool.
- Work with business data analysts to develop, extend & support data-driven A/B experiments. Be able to communicate effectively both within and outside of engineering, working with product, sales and customers to understand needs and discover ways to deliver insights.
See if you fit our requirements.
For this role, we are looking for someone with the following characteristics:
- 7+ years total engineering experience
- 3+ years experience dealing with “data”, including things like SQL databases, No-SQL databases, columnar databases and data pipelines.
- Familiarity with Embedded Reporting tools/platforms (PowerBI, Domo, Looker, Sisense etc.)
- Experience with Google Big Query, DBT (getdbt.com) or PowerBI
- Experience working with data using Python (e.g. Pandas, Apache Beam, scikit, tensorflow, etc)
- Experience using ETL tools (SAS, Informatica, Talend, MSSQL SSIS, etc)
Ability to acutely focus on company objectives and mission at hand.
Ability to pass a background check; have appropriate work authorization To achieve our mission, we always look for high-caliber people who share our core values:
Be Customer Obsessed: As a support engineer, our ideal candidate should have a heartbeat on customer satisfaction, and strive to make sure customer issues are resolved quickly and effectively.
Over Communicate: As a 100% remote company, over communication is key to delivering continued productivity across all teams. Our ideal candidate goes above and beyond to ensure important messages are received by the correct party.
Challenge Respectfully: GrowFlow is far more likely to succeed by examining problems and situations through several lenses. Our ideal candidate should be able to engage and work with both the support team and the engineering team to ensure we are delivering the best solution for our customers.
Extreme Ownership: At GrowFlow, we pride ourselves on each member practicing extreme ownership and accountability. Our ideal candidate should be able and willing to take ownership of customer reported issues and see them all the way to their resolution.
Stay Curious, Stay Scrappy: Most of us dork out over non-work related topics at a ridiculous level of detail, because that’s how we’re wired. We’re naturally inquisitive, ask tough questions and aren’t afraid to ruffle feathers to find better answers. Our Ideal candidate should be intuitive and eager to learn new things.
Do Less Better: At GrowFlow, we believe that the path to becoming the market leader looks like focusing on doing fewer things, but doing them better than anyone else in the industry. Our Ideal candidate is able to create a “path of least resistance” when resolving customer reported issues.
Results Get Rewarded: At GrowFlow, we recognize that the quickest path to becoming the top company in the industry is by forming the top team in the industry. Our ideal candidate should have a heartbeat on KPIs related to the T2 support engineer position and should be focused on measuring and improving metrics related to his or her position.